MOVIE REVIEW: Ready Player One (2018)

Ready Player One (2018) by Steven Spielberg


Release dateMarch 29, 2018 (Malaysia)
Box office582.2 million USD
Budget175 million USD

Storyline


A film by Steven Spielberg, this science fiction action adventure movie is based on Ernest Cline's bestseller of the same name. The film is set in 2045, with the world on the brink of chaos and collapse. People of earth found a new life in the OASIS, an expansive virtual reality universe created by James Halliday (Mark Rylance). 

When Halliday dies, he leaves his fortune to the first person to find a digital Easter egg he has hidden somewhere in the OASIS. Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan) or his avatar's name or in-game name is called Parzival, decides to join the contest to find the Easter egg. 

Wade is teamed up with Samantha (Olivia Cooke) or her avatar's name Art3mis, Helen/Aech (Lena Waithe), Sho (Philip Zhao),  Daito (Win Morisaki) to find the Easter egg together, they are called the High Five. 

They are against IOI (Innovative Online Industries) to win the Egg Hunt as IOI's sole purpose is to win the Easter Egg Hunt.

The movie ends with Wade Watts finding all three (3) keys of the Easter Eggs and winning the competition, and shares his ownership of OASIS with his High Five friends.

My Review

I have never read the novel but I was attracted to this movie as it was about an online gaming world. I personally have been playing online games for around 10 years and it will always have a place in my heart because I grew up playing video games and unto online gaming. The reason why I find online gaming is very close to my heart is because it is an escape from reality and you find a new world to play with, a vast reality and meet new people in the game. 


Graphics/Animation

The movie uses top notch quality of CGI and Graphics Animation, the colors they use for the movie is very accurate for OASIS and the character design for the in-game characters are very smooth and high quality. I found myself pulled into their world as the animations were very cool and it made me wanted to play the game and be a part of it. 

Script

The script were very relate-able as the language that they used were not very formal and very easy to understand as most of the in-game or in OASIS slang that they used were easy to understand as a gamer myself. I am not sure about non-gamers but I think that they were very easy to be understood as it was youthful and American so an English speaker would not have trouble to understand its language.

Content

The movie is a balance of drama and action. The action part is computer generated and it was very moving as the moves were related to action gaming like an MMORPG. The movie also has a dramatic part where Wade Watts falls in love with Samantha (Art3mis) and his willingness to help her in the real world with her rebellion and the death of his aunt by IOI planting explosives at their trailer home. 

Music/Soundtrack

The music they used were a mix of Electronic, Classical, and Rock. It gave the movie a feeling of somewhat in the midst of a pop-culture or sub-culture and that for someone who appreciates a side of society who enjoys a different type of vibe, it was a welcoming sight and I thoroughly enjoyed their music selection as it gave me a sense or feeling of being very unique. 

Actors/Actresses

The selection for the actors and actresses were suitable as it represents the next-door youth and the character designs for the OASIS characters were very interesting as none of them looked the same and each avatar were a unique design. 

Conclusion

This movie is a mixture of real world, gaming and also most importantly; pop culture. It gave me the insight into a world which I rarely dwell into and it was a fresh feeling. I was never bored at all not for a single moment while watching this movie as everything was really an inviting sight. I was very attracted to everything about this movie and I assure you audience to watch this movie let it be alone or with a friend. 


4.5/5 

It's not a full mark because you have not yet seen it so you better watch it so we can talk about it and I'll pump it up to a 5/5! 



THANK YOU FOR READING!


Comments